7.29.2011

"I am never flying again!"

On my way home from Utah, almost two weeks ago, I had a very humbling experience.  It has to do with Millie, the flight home...I'll stop there.

Now, before I begin let me give you a little background.  Millie has been and continues to be a fairly easy baby.  She has slept through the night (majority of the time) since 3 1/2 months, she has always been a good eater, she's not fussy...you get the picture.  I can count on one hand how many times I haven't known what is wrong with her.  Usually something fixes whatever problem she is having-whether it be a pacifier, food, a blanket, toys, kisses, etc.

Well this particular day was going well.  Millie took a nap on the way to the airport, which I was planning on her doing.  When we got to the airport, she was happy and content.  Checked through security, and ran into another mom with a newborn baby who was only 11 weeks old.  We got to talking and she said it was only her third flight with her baby.  She said that her baby had done pretty well on each flight, but she was nervous.  As I was too, but I was feeling pretty confident.  I have flown multiple times with Millie, and EVERY flight had been great. (key word. Had.)

We boarded the plane to Denver, and we sat by these two cute moms who were going to a graduation.  Millie played with toys, we enjoyed cookies, read books, talked with the ladies next to us, watched Backyardigans...ya know the usual.  We landed, and exited the plane.  It was about a two hour flight and Millie did great!

For the next flight, I planned ahead and asked one of the coffee shops for some warm water for her bottle.  I mixed the formula and water together so that it'd be ready for when we boarded the next plane.  Things were going well at this point.  Millie was getting a little fussy because it was bedtime, but once again, I had planned it this way.  I thought to myself, perfect she'll drink her bottle and fall asleep right when the plane takes off and sleep the whole way (or at least an hour) and be happy and great the whole time.

We boarded the aircraft, and watched as everyone piled in.  I was hoping there would be an empty seat next to me, as I'm sure most people hope for, but unfortunately there wasn't.  A young man sat next to me, who told the girl next to him that he was visiting family from Utah.  Hallelujah!  He knows what big families are like, babies, crazy houses, etc.  So I didn't worry too much.

The flight took off and as planned, I held Millie, put her blanket by her face, and gave her a bottle...

she pushed the bottle away.  No big deal.  Maybe she wasn't tired or hungry yet (although it was the right time for her to have the bottle and go to sleep).  We read a few books and then she got pretty fussy.  Annoying I know.  She was tired. Hungry. Sick of being on airplanes. And just wanted her own bed with her comfy jammies on and a warm bottle.

Still fussy.  I tried to give her the bottle again...but she didn't want it.  I pulled out toys, books, movies, food, etc...but each of these things only lasted ten minutes max and she'd be fussy again wanting something else.  I changed her diaper...fixed the problem for five minutes...still fussy.  We played with ice...again fixed the problem for seven minutes and she was soaked and still fussy.

Yes, I was the annoying mother who didn't know how to calm her baby.  I was the mom who everyone hates to sit by.  I was the mom whose baby fussed/cried pretty much the whole flight...and there was nothing I could do about it.

We stood in the back and I forced her to lay down in my arms.  Tried to give her the bottle and rock her to sleep, all while everyone towards the back end of the plane turned around and gave me looks.  Nothing worked.  I started to get teary eyed...What has happened to my baby??

Finally after those two and half hours were up trying to wrestle a tired, grumpy, hungry, fussy, baby, the pilot said his usual decent prompt and I sat in my seat.  Millie started crying...hard.  I was frantic and pulled out everything I had to try to calm her.  I am sure I looked like a mess.  Was it her ears?  I gave her a sippy cup, but she wouldn't suck.  Her paci?  Didn't work either.

So...I just let her cry.

Then, all my emotions let loose.  The lady next to me said that it happens to everyone (yah right!).  I told her that I was never flying again and how sorry I was, all while crying.

Crying mom.  Crying baby.  Bugged passengers.  Flight attendants who had parenting comments to say.
Not a good picture.

Right when we landed, of course, Millie falls asleep.  Figures.

The lights turn on, Millie wakes up from her 10 minute nap, and is all smiles and babbling.

I was humiliated!!  All my confidence from earlier on in the day was shot.

I walked straight out to Cason waiting at the curb, sobbing.  No baggage claim, bathroom stop, or anything.  I was so embarrassed that I asked him to go get my bag for me.

On the ride home, Millie went right to sleep.

Lessons learned that day:  Rarely anything goes as planned with a baby.  So, next time just go with the flow.  Don't be so confident.  And don't judge someone for not being able to calm their baby...it might just happen to you!

Ps. What would you have done??

16 comments:

  1. Oh man something definitely for me to prepare for...thanks for the heads up! I mean I have heard it before but it was good to read this story because you always have something else in mind on how your baby will behave. I honestly have no idea what I would've done! Anyone that has kids has been through that before and if they don't have kids I'm sure they saw the effort you were going through to try and keep her calm. You're a good mom don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Marie! So sorry that happened to you. I am always terrified to fly with Jack without Matt. I won't do it for that reason. At least you won't see any of those people again :)

    P.s She is too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I would have cried, found the button to release the door, and then leaped to my death! Not really, but...

    This is why I'm debating if our trip to Florida this February will be worth it. It's not 100% decided that we'll actually go, but there's a good chance we will and I'm teeeeeerified!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so much sympathy for parents flying with babies. We took Cole to Hawaii when he was 1 yr old and it was the most awful experience. I vowed never to fly with kids again... and I haven't!! He screamed the ENTIRE flight. I was laying on top of him on the floor to muffle his screams. awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im not going to lie since im not a mom i do get annoyed when people cant get their baby to stop crying when im on a plane or other close quarters. but then i realize its not the moms/dads fault! annoying as it is I have huge respect for parents, especially when theyre flying or doing something by themselves with a baby. i would have done the same thing and cried! sorry that happened, i hate things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie! Thanks for the sweet comment. I love this post. We just flew home (AZ) to go to Lake Powell - Aubree was 2 weeks at the time. Fortunately, she slept the entire plane rides there, but even then I was sweaty bullets because I thought people would judge me as a new mom and if she made a tiny peep.

    You are an amazing mom and Millie is to.die.for! Her and Aubree will have to be bff at BYU :).

    I have to admit I get a lot of ideas from your blog, so thank you! My next project is to make the tuffed headboard you so amazingly created with Cason. I hope you don't mind if I use your tutorial. Any advice before I start?

    If you dare fly adain :), come visit us in FL - you'll have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry! How awful! I'm so not looking forward to flying with duder Jr.! I
    Would have cried too! Sorry you had to go through that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right! It can be anyone, and that someone would be ME! That's why I refuse to fly and wont fly with Taelyn. St. George is hard enough driving. But it's true, I have NEVER judged another mother since my "baby" has gotten hard. Thanks for sharing the story though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had that flight, had that baby, felt the same way. It's normal. The thing that I always thought, and more than once almost came out of my mouth to say to a passenger or two, is, "Do you think I'm enjoying this? Do you think I like her crying?" Next time just remember, you paid for your flight just like everyone else did, forget about everyone on the plane and just think about you and that sweet baby! It's all about YOU! You did everything YOU as her mom could do. It's just one of those things! Sucks, but it happens. Now when my husband travels he feels for the mommies and he's nice to them, helps them, and defends them! Much love to you mommy!!
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Marie I am so sorry:( what a hard flight! But i am sure people understood... I don't have kids so I don't have advise but you have my sympathy because I would have cried too! I love you and so sorry! But you are an amazing mother and little ones can be hard and the worst times ever to make us stronger I think???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh don't ever feel bad for being "that mom"... I promise, we all have those moments now when we look back on saying, "my child will never be like (fill in the blank)", and "I will never be the mom that (fill in the blank)" with regret, because it does happen to us! I hate those moments when you feel so out of control! It really makes you appreciate all the other good moments when everything seems to be going well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just went through this with Jack on the way home from SLC!! It is the WORST, isn't it!? We had a male flight attendant who thought he could help by bringing Jack some juice. Jack threw that. Then, the flight attendant offered to hold my screaming 2 year old (yeah right) so all the passengers endured 1 hr & 30 minutes of a SCREAMING toddler (way worse than a cute baby), but he fell asleep as soon as we buckled him in his car seat to go home. I KNOW exactly what you went through and it is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. don't worry....we have experienced a fussy baby too...it is horrible..but you live through it. At least you won't see any of them again:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Marie, so sorry! In all our flying, I have learned to be sympathetic with anyone with a baby or toddler -- not easy for them and certainly not (usually) their fault when their baby is noisy! Well, I'm sure you've "shaken it all off" by now, but sorry anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh man that is horrible.. so sorry this happened.. you did everything you could do...your still a good mom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the biggest reasons we have kids - to decrease judgments we cast on other people. I continually feel more understanding of others as I try to raise these kids and fail all too often. Kids can sure humble you. Sorry you had such a bad experience, but think of how much you will now sympathize with other mothers with similar problems - instead of giving her the glare I'm guessing you'll be handing her toys and treats to help out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...