5.27.2010

Healthy Eating

Ever seen the movie Food Inc.?  Rent it this weekend.  
It will change how you eat and look at food.
(I'll warn you, it is a documentary so some parts are a little boring, but it is very interesting!!)


























Here is a yummy pasta recipe I made for dinner tonight.  (to make it even healthier use whole wheat noodles)


Lemon Pasta with Chicken


Ingredients:
  • 1 pound dried bowtie pasta
  • 2 chicken cutlets, cut into fingers
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
  • 2 lemons, juiced (I used 1, because that's all I had.  It still tasted good)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, until al dente. Drain well.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large grill pan over medium high and add chicken. Grill until golden and completely cooked. Remove to a plate and slice.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to a saute pan with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and saute until fragrant. Add the cooked pasta and turn heat off. Mix all together.
Remove pasta to a large bowl. Add chicken to the warm pasta and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in chopped parsley. Add the juice of 2 lemons and mix. Before serving top with Parmesan.

Try it out!  Very light and fresh.   
I am in need of some new recipes!!  Healthy or not. :)  Send them my way!
I am thinking about doing a recipe exchange.  Anyone else interested?  Let me know! (even if I don't know you.)

8 comments:

  1. Man... I am really trying to be healthier too. This recipe looks yummy. It's kind of hard for me to think of what to make and especially for just me! We have switched to ground turkey and whole wheat noodles instead too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have that movie!!! It is very interesting... I liked it. It def makes you more aware of where our food is coming from. The hard thing is, there is nothing personal you can really do to change things. We are growing a garden. That will help with the organic-ness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that movie! I'm so glad it's summer and I can start going to farmer's markets. It also made me feel better about getting our eggs from my father-in-law's chickens. It's sooo crazy what food companies can get away with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that lemon pasta looks sooo yummy! i am totally interested in doing a recipe swap! let me know the details :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh girl, i am so up for a recipe exchange!!!

    i'll give you a crock pot one that i made the other night right now.

    4 chicken breasts
    1 can of favorite salsa (i used some of Jack's salsa from costco b/c that's what we had)
    1 can corn, drained
    1 can black beans, drained
    1 package cream cheese (i used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and only half of it but i know it would be good with whole thing)

    so put everything in crock pot except for cream cheese for about 4 hrs on low. once able to, shred the chicken and then at the end add the cream cheese and let it melt for about 30 min. then mix everything together in crock pot and put over rice or tortillas!

    easy peasy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally seen the movie and read most books related on the subject. I am very "into" that kind of stuff. Read enough about 3 years ago to stop supporting the meat/dairy industry all together. Well, I guess I shouldn't say "all together," cause my kids still consume some of those products, just not me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, loved that movie. Totally opened my eyes. We are trying to be more healthy and would love some recipes! Let me know the details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. can not wait to try this!! yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...