9.19.2008

The Real World



I guess I've lived in a box my whole life! I get the weirdest reactions from people when they hear that I am already married at the age of 20, that I have never and don't ever drink alcoholic beverages, that we don't party and get "wasted", and all those "fun" things!

Today at work, a new girl came in to cover a shift for someone else. We were asking each other the get-to-know-you questions and our conversation went something like this:

girl (Dolce is her name, pronounced like Dolce and Gabbana): Marie, how old are you?

me: 20

Dolce: Oh! Aren't you so excited to be 21 so you can go party and drink as much as you want?

me: uh....not really! I don't drink alcohol.

Dolce: What??!?!?!?!?! You don't?

me: Nope. (thinking to myself, 'is it that weird that I don't drink?')

Dolce: What do you do for fun then?

me: uh..You can still have fun when you're not drunk!

Dolce: Yah, well you only live once, you've got to try everything! You don't want to live life thinking to yourself 'oh I should've done this or I should've done that.'

me: right.

Then she hears that I am married "already" and says-well I hope everything works out for you! (as if it's not and that I shouldn't be married that young!) Who is this girl?? Am I that weird? Are us Mormon's that much different? I think not. The world is different! :) There were alot more things that were said that she thought were "so weird", but I won't share every detail....


Welcome to the world Marie!!

16 comments:

  1. ha! Welcome to California I guess. Don't worry that when I was engaged at 21, I was working at Nordstroms at MV and had many women ask me my age and then ask what I was thinking?!?! They all thought they should warn me that it probably won't last when you make a decision this young. I just had to laugh it off. If only they knew I had friends getting married at 19...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait till you have babies and then people stare you down in the mall like you are some unwed teenage mother. they never think you could possibly have wanted this child or that you and your husband are happily married, etc etc etc. sorry but i guess that is how most of the world views us weirdos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. Outside of Utah, you get these weird looks when you have a ring on your finger.. It sucks! But oh well, I'd rather be happily married and moving on with life( starting a family, having a career etc) Than be 27 still living at home with NO clue what I want to do. Which is how it is everywhere else. lol. Oh well??? Maybe we are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It kind of wakes you up living outside of Utah huh? Just use it to your advantage and have missionary experiences. I love living out in the mission field and I'm sure you wlil grow more comfortable with it and learn to like it a lot! I love you! How are you liking work and how are you handling this time without Cason? I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, for one, think that you are so super cool. It's fun to be out and away and realize EXACTLY why you you don't do everything the way the rest of the world does...I like having friends who do things a little, shall we say, differently, so that I understand more how happy and comfortable I am with the way I do things.

    Congratulations on the job. Hopefully we can get together soon with Lara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so dumb!! I seriously hate that! Even here I get people giving me crap for getting married when I was 19. Why do people care?! Its way annoying I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your blog! Your stories and observations are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie your blog is adorable and you look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah...I'm afraid everything they said about us growing up in a 'bubble' was true. It's good though, we had our temptations too. Remember when you told me to flip people off because someone told you God wouldn't give you a bad finger?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so funny! You get that all the time here. People can't believe that I am 30 and have 3 kids and have been married for 8 years. Most 30 year olds in California are no where near getting married or having their first kid! Anyways, can't wait to see you guys this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i found your blog through lindsays blog. congrats on the marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. marie, this is how i felt everyday working at the sandwich shop in Maui. people stared at me like i had a third eye when i told them i was only 22 and married. it was even weirder when we were at dinner with some friends and they wanted to order beer. they all whispered and didn't know what to do until i said out loud "its okay, order your drink,". It made me really grateful for my little bubble! I hope you are having the time of your life with your hubby. you two are so cute! where are you working there?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Marie, I'm Adrienne, Jono's wife. So I totally know how you feel being 20 and married...people think we're weird. But it's ok, we know we are normal :) We should all go out to dinner sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to CA :) No more happy valley :) I'm glad to hear you guys are doing good, and it's good to be different!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...