12.21.2011

Photography Tips for the CON-sumer

I do not consider myself a professional photographer...therefore, I can only share info that I find helpful for the consumer (someone like myself) not the prosumer.

I have received a few emails regarding what camera I have and any advice I have about photography.  As I mentioned above, I am no pro so I don't know everything.  But I do know a few things.

What type of camera do you use?  I use a Nikon D40x.  This is a great consumer camera.  And I recommend it to EVERYONE!  I have known professional photographers who have had this camera and have taken amazing pictures with it.  her and I'm pretty sure her. They both now have Nikon D700s. (jealous)  I love/and have loved this camera.  Cason got it for me for Christmas back in 2009.  I opened all my gifts and then he came in with a Tamron camera case.  At the time, I didn't know what Tamron was.  In my mind, I thought, oh no...don't embarrass me.  Are we going camping or something.  Thinking it was a fannypack.  He told me to open it...so I did.  And I found my camera shining.

I pulled that bad boy out from the camera bag, and started snapping away on Auto.  At first I thought to myself, wow these pictures are amazing...but really they weren't.  They looked the exact same as the pictures from Cason's Canon point and shoot camera.  I thought about taking the new camera back because it wasn't worth the money and the bulk.  But then I looked into a few classes at the community college where I lived in California.  I took multiple courses in digital photography-learned how to use my camera and it's Manual settings, and also took a few courses using film...developed my own photos in the wet room and edited them there too.  It was fun!  I also took a beginner photography workshop from Val Westover right after Millie was born and learned a lot there.

So with that being said about my photography background, here are a few tips I have for you.  (remember, I am no professional photographer, nor do I think I am.)

Tip #1:
Do your research on cameras.  Do you prefer Nikon or Canon or a no namer?  Everyone will tell you what they think is the most user friendly {Nikon is PS :) }, etc. etc. but you need to figure out what is best for you.

Tip #2:
I tell everyone this..and pretty soon these companies are going to catch on to my secret, but it saves a little bit of money.  Go to Best Buy or one of those types of stores that sells cameras.  After you have done your research and know what type of camera you want,  ask them if they have any "open box" cameras in the make and model you like.  These cameras are usually on display, have been returned and are not damaged.  They usually knock $50-$100 off the retail price.  Great money saver.

Tip #3: 
Learn how to use your Manual settings.  You will see a difference in your photos if you do this.  If you don't, you really won't see a difference.  There is no real reason for you to purchase a DSLR camera if you aren't going to learn how to use the settings.  Why lug around the huge thing if you don't have to?  You can get just as great of pictures, if not better, on a small point and shoot camera on auto setting.

Tip #4:
Lenses make all the difference.  Invest in lenses.  Buy yourself a cheaper DSLR Camera and buy a more expensive lens.  I used to use my kit lens (the lens that came with my camera) and only that lens, and my pictures were not that great. I wasn't happy with them...then it broke.  I bought a 50mm f1.4 lens and LOVE it!  I see a big difference in my photos and I can do things with it that I couldn't do with my kit lens.  (this is the only lens I use at the moment.)

Tip #5:
Natural light (in my opinion) is your best friend!  
You will get amazing photos if you take them in natural light. Artificial light is great too, but it gives you a different effect.  All depends what look you are going for.  

Tip #6:
There is always more to learn!  Keep studying, learning practicing and getting inspiration from others.  Practice makes perfect! Right?  

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now..if you have any questions from a consumer level, please leave a comment and I will answer them below. 

And because I can't leave a post without a picture of my troublemakingpeanut.
{top two taken with phone}


and because she's so darn cute with that goofy bow. 

6 comments:

  1. So cute. Thanks for the photo tips. I totally need to learn how to do manuel settings. You are right.. What's the point of it unless you know how to do that. You do take great photos! Val was our wedding photographer. He is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! It makes SUCH a huge difference with pictures when you shoot in manual. Every once and a while I have to use auto because of crappy lighting and I'm always shocked at how different the pictures turn out.

    Millie is adorable and...good luck with the toilet opening! My girls just started that and it's been interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you recommend any books for people like me who are learning on our own? I have gained some simple knowledge from people showing me beginner ways to shoot in manual but I would love to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Brittany: I haven't read any books personally...just my camera manual, and my textbooks and notes from classes. Cason and I used to go into Barnes and Noble or one of those big bookstores and sit and read magazines. I'd pick up the photography magazines or books there and skim them. That's a great place to start! Sorry I'm not much help there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really need to get my butt in gear and learn how to use my canon. i am still just using the auto settings. i remember you tried to help me a little bit when we took our girls trip to florida but i haven't done anything with it. my iphone has pretty much become my camera. i love your pics of millie!

    speaking of girls trips.............................. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the canon rebel for Christmas! fjdahfa!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...