3.18.2010

I love this shirt from J.Crew, and I wasn't about to spend $30 for a tee.  Maybe $15.  Yes $30 isn't much for a shirt from J.Crew, but when you're on a budget you make do by making your own. 



I wanted to make it myself, so I went to Target and bought two of the same shirt.


One shirt I used as the one I will be wearing, the other I cut up!  

Cut off the bottom of the shirt so you don't have to deal with that finished hem.   


Step 1:  Next, cut about a two inch strip from the bottom of the shirt.
 Take a threaded needle and weave it in and out of the shirt.  It doesn't have to be perfect, because that's what gives it the different sized ruffles.  


Your finished ruffle should look something like this.  


Step 2:  Attach the ruffle to the center of the shirt about one inch down from the neck.  Pin and then sew.


Step 3:  Next, weave the ruffle back to the neck of the shirt as shown below.  Pin, and then sew.


Step 4:  Then, weave the ruffle towards the sleeve, sew and then towards the neck again.  Sew.


Step 5:  Next, cut another long 2 inch thick strip and repeat step 1.

Attach just under the neck of the shirt, next to the top ruffle.  Sew along the neck of the shirt. 


Step 6:  you should have leftover ruffle from step 5.  
Fold the ruffle under and pin about 1/2 inch under the previous ruffles. 


Keep doing the ruffle thing until it is about 1/3 of the way down the shirt.  It is very repetitive.  

Tip:  Make sure all your ruffles are around the same length.  I ran out of ruffle on some of my layers, so just make new ones and make it look like it was supposed to happen.  
As you can see I used pink thread instead of the coral color of the shirt.  You really can't tell.  Plus the majority of your sewing is covered.  That is what is great about this shirt!  You can't see the mistakes!

Here is the finished product!!


Target shirts=$10
Thread=already had. But you can sometimes find some for $.99
Total=$11-$13
You save=$19
I say that's a steal of a deal!!

Try it out!

23 comments:

  1. Marie--I LOVE THIS!!! You rock, and thanks for sharing...I'm going to try it...maybe on that exact same color tee because it's adorable. And, by the way...you look way to skinny for a pregnant girl! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually just went to a little craft party with some friends and attempted doing something similar, but I sadly killed it. However, I know what I did wrong and am going to try again. :) Yours looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie!!! I am so happy I came across your blog. Congratulations on the baby! You will be the most adorable mommy. Little girls are the best. She'll be well dressed with your cute taste and creativity. I love the shirt. I'm so into ruffles right now. You are beautiful and I can't wait to see pictures of your baby when she comes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! You are so talented! I definitely want to try this out. Thanks for the tutorial! SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie! This is so funny... I literally just bought a white shirt and was going to attempt the exact same thing! I just made some that are like the flowery shirts they have, and I was going to totally attempt this one next :) I'm so with you on not wanting to spend that much on a flippin t-shirt! Thanks for the tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is freakin' cute! nice work dude! I don't even think I'd be able to follow your simple directions! I suck at sewing and crafty stuff. Very good job though! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. uh...hello...you can sew?! I'm totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool! I want to do it myself. You are an amazing seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! So cute. You are a crafty one! And so skinny for having a little one in there. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gol...I wish I had the time (and when I say time, I mean I wish I wasn't so lazy) and the creativity to do this! So impressive Marie! And seriously so cute. It looks identical. Good luck cutie

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is awesome! i love it!
    i have the jcrew one in charcoal, and i love it!
    but i was thinking of buying it in one more color, maybe i will just make it ;)
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...the talent to make the shirt = PRICELESS

    You're a rockstar!!! I love the shirt and the color you chose. You should ETSY it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. marie this is amazing..like identical. love the color. so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that, darlin, is impressive stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. make me one! i like yours better than the j crew one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Marie! This is Kim, Jess Campbell (Toolson's) sister. I check your blog every now and then and thought I would finally say hello. Umm...that shirt is adorable! Thanks for the tutorial and congrats on the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Marie! This is Kim, Jess Campbell (Toolson's) sister. I check your blog every now and then and thought I would finally say hello. Umm...that shirt is adorable! Thanks for the tutorial and congrats on the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this marie! So smart to do it yourself. I need to attempt this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Way to go little soon to be mama!! I actually ran into Cason's sister Ashley at JCrew and we were all buying that same shirt in the charcoal color. I should have saved the money and made my own, nice job! What else do you have up your sleeve?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. muy impressed! i love j crew and if i could afford it i would buy 1 of everything. maybe i just need to take some lessons from you and make my own

    ReplyDelete
  21. MARIE!! This is soooo cute! I will seriously pay you to make one for me because I think yours is cuter then the Target one! You go little Martha Stewart! I am very impressed! You should definitely do this to a onesie for your baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. okay i just found your blog randomly and i think this is such an awesome idea! you did such a good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my gosh i have this same jcrew shirt on my blog!! now if only i was as crafty as you i could make my own. . . your blog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...